More on NFS problem

Joe_Wulf Joe_Wulf at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 05:28:55 UTC 2007

John,

I apologize, John, since my bluntness has offended you.

This is a technical forum where I've raised questions, issues and sought to help
others, too.  I am technically experienced, professional and seeking to associate
and collaborate with the same kind of folks.  I'm driven and motivated to be
clear as well as succeed.  I've been comfortable for many years now in presenting
ideas, accepting/reviewing the ideas of others and offering constructive
criticism, as well as accepting theirs in return---a matter of professionalism,
as I've come to learn.

I've banged my head for the last 22 or 23 days straight (since I got this MacPro,
thru work) on the problems I've identified, with an intent to achieve success,
typically staying up until 2 or 3 am, then still going to work.  I've read every
page on the Fedora anaconda/kickstart wiki, tried multitudes of combinations (as
scientifically and methodically as I possibly can).  I've posted questions on
Apple/MacPro, VMware, ITToolBox forums, and then some others, too.

What I have desired is to get feedback from those that have dealt with this
specific problem and who didn't resolve it with solutions that ranged in other
directions.  I've been specifically seeking a method to resolve the NFS mount
problem on this system.  Or, at least advice directed at troubleshooting it.
Maybe, I'm expecting too much.

I've logically presented a detailed narrative, several times, of exactly what
I've done, what the organization is like, what pieces/parts I've got, what I'm
doing with them, what success I've achieved, and where this is breaking down at.
Pretty much in the way I know from experience good technicians want to see the
problem description, as it allows them to laser in, based on their experience, on
just what the right solution is.  Maybe, I've not been reaching the right person.

What I know I cannot do is go back to work and offer my customer a solution
radical from their way of doing business.  I'm encountering some pretty unique
difficulties and soliciting for support from the multitudes who have done this
far more that I have.  I have spent a lot of time searching/reading, actively
seeking a description of this problem somewhere, and where a solution has been
described (or at least enough of something I can troubleshoot with and/or
implement).  Searches for even basic phrases, such as those I've previously
reported have not turned up something sufficiently similar to my problem, much
less with a solution.

My experience tells me that massaging/rolling unique initrd file images
exponentially aggravates my relatively good solution set.  Rerolling one
initrd.img for one OS still has to then be subsequently tested against a large
selection of hardware and end-use implementations, configurations, etc...  When I
am familiar with all that I'm already doing---I just need to get past this darn
NFS problem.  My time was supposed to be focused, not on troubleshooting/solving
an intransient NFS problem, but on rolling up specific scripts and app-builds in
the kickstart %post section and beyond.  I'm WAY behind on that.

Thank you for the feedback.  I'll accept it, with an eye towards improving in the
future, away from being offensive.  Being a gentleman is and always has been my
demeanor.  It is strange and difficult to understand what another intends
sometimes without asking them, or knowing them.  Especially/doubly difficult when
the only medium is text words/messages.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

R,
-Joe Wulf, CISSP, USN(RET)