NFS booting problem

Terry Covill tzcovill at ybs.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 08:57:17 UTC 2007

This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged information.

If you are not the person for whom they are intended please return the email and then delete all material from any computer. You must not use the email or attachments for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to anyone other than the intended recipient.

Any statements made by an individual in this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the Yorkshire Building Society Group.

Hello Joe
I have just joined this list and have been following your problem.
An issue I have seen where the kickstart build stalls with DNS and NFS mount problems was a layer 2 problem.
It was intermittent and was finally cured by setting the portfast option on the switch port. this reduced the delay of the switch putting the NIC's MAC address in it's MAC table.

Best regards

Terry Covill

Technical Support Group
Yorkshire Building Society

>From Joe_Wulf <Joe_Wulf at yahoo.com>
Sent Mon 15/10/2007 00:58
To kickstart-list at redhat.com
Subject NFS booting problem

I've got an on again, off again problem where I can initiate a kickstart for RHEL5 (32 or 64 bit), as well as
for RHEL AS4 (32 or 64 bit) and many times the NFS mount for the KS config cannot be found.  Then,
after numerous reboots to troubleshoot the problem, poof, the NFS mount is found and some systems
get built.  Nothing changed.  Even reboots of the kickstart server, the Linksys router and the Mac Pro
(with WinXP and VMware 6 installed) don't change that many restarts have to happen before it will
somehow, magically start building.

A most confusing problem and one that I need insight, advice and questions from you all on what to
check so I can solve it.  All help is appreciated!

R,
-Joe Wulf, CISSP, USN(RET)
 Senior IA Engineer
 ProSync Technology Group, LLC

        www.prosync.com

http://www.star.net.uk

Yorkshire Building Society, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, chooses to introduce its customers to:

-Legal & General for the purposes of advising on and arranging life assurance and investment products bearing Legal & General's name; and
-Homeowners Friendly Society for the purpose of arranging stakeholder Child Trust Funds.

We are entered in the FSA Register and our FSA registration number is 106085 http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register

Head Office: Yorkshire Building Society, Yorkshire House, Yorkshire Drive, Bradford, BD5 8LJ
Tel: 0845 1 200 100

Visit Our Website
http://www.ybs.co.uk

All communications with us may be monitored/recorded to improve the quality of our service and for your protection and security.

http://www.star.net.uk