Specify MAC address in kickstart

Vimal Kumar vikumar at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 01:21:24 UTC 2007

Vimal Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a query from a customer who has four network interfaces in his
> server and while doing a kickstart, he want interfaces with particular
> MAC addresses get assigned the name eth0, eth1 etc..
>
> ie.. He wants the interface with MAC '00:14:5E:B3:56:F4' be eth0,
> interface with MAC '00:14:5E:A7:0B:B8' be eth1 and so on..
>
> I was only able to locate the directives for the 'network' section in
> kickstart, specified below. Are there any directives available to
> configure MAC addresses or is there a work around for this.
>
> *|network --device --bootproto
> --ip --netmask
> --gateway
> --nameserver
> --hostname
> ||--nodns|*
>
> Any ideas...
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Cheers,
> Vimal Kumar

Hello,

Thank you everyone, for the quick responses.

I tried the configuration ( a little bit differently) as per Jason's
response, did the configuration in the %post section. Here is what i added :

------------
%post
mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /root/ifcfg-eth0.back
touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:0C:29:CF:3D:1A
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 /root/ifcfg-eth1.back
touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
echo "DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:0C:29:CF:3D:24
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2 /root/ifcfg-eth2.back
touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2
echo "DEVICE=eth3
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:0C:29:CF:3D:2E
IPADDR=192.168.1.3
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2

mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3 /root/ifcfg-eth3.back
touch /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3
echo "DEVICE=eth4
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:0C:29:CF:3D:38
IPADDR=192.168.1.4
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3

This worked as intended and the system booted with the new
configuration. The customer has not yet updated us, and so i am waiting.

Thank you once again for all the responses.

Vimal Kumar