RHEL5/CentOS5 KS Network Oddities (ifcfg-* gets re-written)

kslist kslist at devo.com
Tue Sep 25 23:02:53 UTC 2007

Hello KSers,

I am using my Kickstart script that I have adapted from RHEL 2.1, 3, and 4
now on CentOS 5. CentOS 5 behaves differently when it comes to network
configuration.

In essence: AFTER the successfull installation, during the first startup
of the OS, something desctroys my network configuration. Specifically, the
files that I have directly written in my %post script:
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolve.conf
are modified, and in the case of the ifcfg-* scripts, my scripts are moved
to a *.bak file (which have a datestamp later than the files I created via
%post, and which correspond to the firstboot) and a completely newfile is
created in its place.

The network configuration that replaces my own is one for DHCP.

My guess is that this is a result of a change in behaviour of the
"network" option. To quote from the RHEL 5 Installation Guide:

"Configures network information for the system. If the kickstart
installation does not require networking (in other words, it is not
installed over NFS, HTTP, or FTP), networking is not configured for the
system. If the installation does require networking and network
information is not provided in the kickstart file, the installation
program assumes that the installation should be done over eth0 via a
dynamic IP address (BOOTP/DHCP), and configures the final, installed
system to determine its IP address dynamically. The network option
configures networking information for kickstart installations via a
network as well as for the installed system."

Now, I see a problem here:
- I use DHCP to install the system (via Kickstart)
- I however do NOT want to run the subsequently installed OS to use DHCP.

I would say that is a very very normal thing to want.

However, the way the manual describes it, and from the behaviour I have
seen, it is not possible to install via DHCP, and then setup your own
network configuration in %post, because your configuration will be
overwritten next time you boot the system.

Ussing "firstboot --disable" doesn't help.

Please help!

-Christian