problem with the module bnx2

Anibal Capotorto acapotorto at lastminute.com
Mon Apr 28 09:41:28 UTC 2008

I¹ve run into a lot of stress when using the bnx2 cards with rhel4u4 /u5 on
the HPs.

Basically 3 things that are a problem with this nics.

1st the problem you¹re talking about I think it¹s definitely because of the
topology of the network given that the bnx2 family sometimes takes some time
in bringing the link up which will lead into
The ks process timing out and asking you to enter the ip manually.

With the HPs I¹ve had 2 problems, 1st one the nics weren¹t detected @ boot
time, the pxe was doing fine, but the OS wasn¹t able to bring up the nics
This one was fixed disabled the apci=off to on (or vice versa, I can¹t
really remember well that one, but it¹s definitely something to do with
that.

THEN when the boxes were installed ok, the problem was that if I wanted to
do a /etc/init.d/network restart the nic died and won¹t come back until the
next reboot

The error in the restart was something related to ³ chipset failed to reset
³

This was due to the complicated nature of the board itself being HP and
supporting iSCSI, the only solution was to replace the nics

This were PCI-E nics, the onboard ones worked fine with the apci=off thing..

Hope this helps