Problems with build ISO via Dell DRAC

gene.huft at wachovia.com gene.huft at wachovia.com
Tue Apr 1 17:54:28 UTC 2008

Gurus,

I have created self contained ISO builds of RHEL 5.1 and RHEL 4.6....they
work flawlesslessly when mapped to a VMware Virtual CDROM, or when burned
to DVD media as bootable image for physical servers. However, the same
ISO(s), when mapped to a Dell server's Remote Access Card virtual CDROM
device, will boot - but it will not find the kickstart file. I have
cracked open the initrd.img file, put the kickstart in there, repacked it
& then it doesn't choke on not finding a ks.cfg file, but it doesn't use
MINE!  It uses some generic one.

Anyway, has anyone come across this? Is it unique to DRAC, will I see same
issue on HP's iLO?  If so, why does VMware handle it beautifully &not
them?

Thanks in advance

Gene