Package Confusion

Hearn, Stan J. stan.hearn at nscorp.com
Sun Apr 6 19:28:58 UTC 2008

RHEL 5.1 x64

I'm trying to determine the minimum rpm's and install rpm groups I need
for my installation.  I've found a few things that are confusing.  I've
found a great deal of information about all the RH related distros, but
nothing specifically that explains this in RHEL terms.

o) I thought I could perform a manual install and during the install
tediously pour over the rpm and group selections to choose what I want.
Then, after the build, look in anaconda.ks and see which packages/groups
where installed.  That didn't seem to work.

o) The group listed on RHN under the package search are not necessarily
the same as an install package group install.

For instance: on RHN ntp shows a group of "System Environment/Daemons."
There is no such install group (is there?).  I'm assuming the install
group and the package group are different animals.

o) I found where the repo contains the install groups in
comps-rhel5-server-core.xml, however none of the xml files on the DVD
include ntp and the ntp package is on the DVD?

o) I'm trying to not install rpm's or rpm groups on a whim AND I'm
trying not to specify each package individually in kickstart.

o) How do I find what install package an rpm is in?

Confused as usual,
Stan