pxe menu

Elliot Peele elliot at rpath.com
Tue Apr 8 18:32:00 UTC 2008

Also might want to take a look at vesamenu.c32.

> Cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com) uses menu.c32 to generate it's
> PXE menus.  menu.c32 is of course very nice.   I haven't found a good
> way to generate submenus in though I would be very interested in this --
> for instance, if you were able to pick your cobbler distribution and
> then pick profiles based on that distribution, or if the lists were very
> long it might be more useful than having scrolling.

As of syslinux 3.54 sub menu support was added. The following example
will create a top level menu option of "rPath Linux" with two sub levels
of "rPath Linux 1.0.7" and "rPath Linux 2 Beta 2".

Example:

menu begin rpl
menu label rPath Linux
label -
    menu label rPath Linux 1.0.7
    menu disabled
label 1.0.7
    menu indent 1
    kernel 1.0.7/vmlinuz
    append initrd=1.0.7/initrd.img
label 1.0.7-x86_64
    menu indent 1
    kernel 1.0.7-x86_64/vmlinuz
    append initrd=1.0.7-x86_64/initrd.img
menu separator
label -
    menu label rPath Linux 2 Beta 2
    menu disabled
label rpl2-beta2
    menu indent 1
    kernel rpl2-beta2/vmlinuz
    append initrd=rpl2-beta2/initrd.img
menu separator
menu end

> Another problem you'll run into with menu.c32 is that it does not offer
> a working timeout -- so once you PXE to engage the menu, the user must
> choose from the menu... so in my case I default to "default", and
> menu.c32 is the "menu" target -- so to pull up the menu you have to type
> "menu" at the syslinux prompt before it times out to "default".

Not sure what version the timeout issue was fixed in, but it works in
3.62.

Elliot

--
Elliot Peele