Create custom boot image for cobbler pxe boot

Rodrick Brown rbrown at BallistaSec.com
Thu Apr 10 13:05:10 UTC 2008

Make your own initrd with the newer e1000 driver the modules are located
in modules.tgz
Question why do you insist on using such an old version of fc?

-----Original Message-----
From: kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of
mad at vorsicht-bissig.de
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:46 AM
To: kickstart-list at redhat.com
Subject: Create custom boot image for cobbler pxe boot

Hi!

I have a desktop PC I want to install with cobbler (Fedora Core 5) via
network. The problem is, that the e1000 network card is to new for the
pxeboot kernel from the FC5 CD.

The cobbler boot runs without problems until it wants to download the
kickstart file from the cobbler server. The error message is, that it
can't find a network device.

I already compiled a new e1000 module on an installed FC5 PC. The module
works fine. Now how can I use the new module?

I tried to update the initrd.img from my /tftpboot directory and that
worked like described in

http://www.sharktooth.de/doku.php/linux:fedora:fc5_e1000_hack

But this is a very dirty hack (in my opinion). Is there a 'right way' to
create a new vmlinuz and initrd.img on the already installed PC that I
can use for tftpboot?

Or is there another possibilty to use the new e1000 module?

Thanks in advance
mad