creating boot image

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 13:50:53 UTC 2008

Alexander Ståhlberg wrote:
> Couldn't find a nice guide through google, so I try here.
>
> I'd like to create a boot image, where I already on the image itself
> point out my nfs server and kickstart file so I don't have to write
> the boot options everytime (linux ks=nfs:myserver:/somedir/ks.cfg),
> always using the same nfs server for installation.
> I then mount the image in my ilo (hp machine) as a usb or cdrom image.
>
> In short, trying to perform a diskless/usbless installation with
> preconfigured boot options.
>
> kind regards
> alex

I'm assuming you have this problem because you have a large amount of machines that you need to install with certain regularity.  In this case I would really suggest PXE,  it is extremely configurable and can accomplish what you want.  Cobbler is also a good alternative  (I've been told, haven't actually used it).

I think the boot image approach, though possible, is too much work.

Regards

--
Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic