creating boot image

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 18 21:37:37 UTC 2008

� wrote:
> Couldn't find a nice guide through google, so I try here.
>
> I'd like to create a boot image, where I already on the image itself
> point out my nfs server and kickstart file so I don't have to write
> the boot options everytime (linux ks=nfs:myserver:/somedir/ks.cfg),
> always using the same nfs server for installation.
> I then mount the image in my ilo (hp machine) as a usb or cdrom image.
>
> In short, trying to perform a diskless/usbless installation with
> preconfigured boot options.

I've seen the others' replies.
I have done it, with CentOS5. In my case, the network connection to my
install server wasn't as good as my Internet connexion, but I wanted to
ks. I don't recall now wither I used the Internet, or installed from
DVD. Probably the former, the machine I used doesn't have a DVD drive,
but I did set up transparent proxy (and cache).

I don't remember all the commands, but it would have been something like
this:
read all the relevant docs including how to specify where the ks file
is. In my case, I decided to put the ks file on one of my servers so I
didn't have to burn another CD or DVD to change it.

Unpack the ISO:
  mount -o loop,ro bf.iso /mnt/iso
  cp -pr /mnt/iso /tmp/iso
  find /mnt/iso -name TRANS.TBL -exec rm -fv {} \;
ensure it's writable
  chmod -r +w /tmp/iso
edit the isolinux configuration to specify the ks location
  vim /tmp/iso/...
put the ks file in place
   whatever
create a new iso.
   mkisofs <google knows the proper command, and it should be in
anaconda too, so read anaconda if you can't find it with google, I think
Chris Kloiber had a script....>
Burn to rewritable media. Important this, one chap I know of used a
whole box of CDs before he thought of this.
One of
   cdrecord
   growisofs

Note to Anaconda hackers, if any are listening. Is there a good reason
Anaconda shouldn't just have a peek at local floppy, USB and maybe
optical media to see whether there's a ks file to be found, and use it?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait