cobbler questions

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 20:22:12 UTC 2008

Phillip Groven wrote:

> * *

> *If I have a working kickstart will cobbler overwrite my existing
> kickstart?*

No, thankfully not :)   Having a migration path is important.

Cobbler can use existing kickstarts by referencing them as http:// URLs,
but also has a more powerful kickstart templating system that helps you
construct kickstarts with subtle differences between your various
profiles and systems.   In this way, you can share a common kickstart
template, but maintain your package lists or other machine specific
options outside of your kickstart template.   This makes it very
workable for static IP configurations, or when you have a lot of
customization to do that would be hard with having a kickstart for each
individual system.   Cobbler uses the widely-used template language
Cheetah to power it's templating technology.

> **
>
> *What OS versions does cobbler run on?*

All of this information is on http://cobbler.et.redhat.com -- The server
needs EL 4, EL 5, Fedora 7 and later.   koan can also
run on RHEL3.    Many non-Fedora/Red-Hat based distributions can also be
provisioned.

> **
>
> *What OS versions can cobbler kickstart?*

Any RHEL or derivative distro, Any Fedora, and also some support for
deploying Debian/Ubuntu or SuSE (though this is less evolved -- but
growing over time).

> **
>
> *What versions of vmware will it support?*

At this point, just VMware server (the free, but not open source,
one).   Someone has added code to do VMware workstation but I need to
incorporate it back into "koan", which is Cobbler's helper tool.
Cobbler works much better with tools like Xen and qemu/KVM, both of
which are supported by libvirt.   VMware is not and the management tools
are less useful.

> **
>
> * *
>
> *How is cobbler different than Red Hat Satellite server?*

Cobbler offers more customization options in lots of ways, but also does
not include monitoring or config management built in, like Satellite can
do.  Cobbler does not require a database -- there is a web interface,
though most of the power of cobbler can be accessed from the command
line.   Package management in Cobbler is also mainly keyed around using
yum.   Cobbler also supports deploying distributions that Satellite does
not yet support in some cases -- such as also deploying Fedora.   koan
also supports some additional virtualization features that Satellite
does not support -- namely qemu/KVM, VMware (experimental), installing
in LVM partitions, multiple network interfaces, and so forth.   If you
are not large enough to need a Satellite -- you can still use Cobbler,
though if you are that large, with something like rhn_regks, you can
still use Cobbler to deploy systems that register against Satellite.
It's easy to do.

> **
>
> * *
>
> *Is cobbler supported by Red Hat Enterprise?*

Cobbler is not generally available in an "officially supported" context
yet.   It is however available in EPEL (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL ) and many people do use Cobbler to
deploy their Red Hat Enterprise Linux.   Cobbler does have community
support via the mailing list and IRC, and maintains seperate
stable/development releases.    Regardless, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux
you deploy /with/ Cobbler will still be supported :)

> **
>
> *Is there a cobbler-list instead of kickstart-list?*
>
> * *

Yes!   et-mgmt-tools at redhat.com -- which you can find the signup page
from https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler (which hosts the Wiki and Trac
instance for Cobbler).