sha rootpw encryption in ks.cfg

Phillip Groven pgroven at 2wire.com
Fri Apr 25 01:23:37 UTC 2008

In my ks.cfg files I encrypt the root password using grub-md5-crypt

According to the below article I an use sha512

How can I encrypt the password using sha?

What version of Red Hat is Rawhide?

Tips and tricks: Choosing the password hashing algorithm for /etc/shadow
during installation
<http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/03/18/tips-and-tricks-choosing-the-p
assword-hashing-algorithm-for-etcshadow-during-installation/>

by Alexander Todorov <http://www.redhatmagazine.com/author/atodorov/>

This is a new feature that has been requested in the Red Hat Enterprise
Linux <http://www.redhat.com/rhel>  product line. The supported
algorithms are DES
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Encryption_Standard> , MD5
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5> , and SHA-256/512
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA_hash_functions> . They will be
available after the upcoming updates releases as well as in Rawhide
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2008-February/msg00
134.html> . The new algorithms will be configurable via Kickstart
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart>  only. Here is the
correct code.

DES

authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=descrypt

rootpw fedora

MD5

authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5

rootpw fedora

or

authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=md5

rootpw fedora

SHA-256

authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha256

rootpw fedora

SHA-512

authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512

rootpw fedora