sha rootpw encryption in ks.cfg

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Fri Apr 25 04:10:14 UTC 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Phillip Groven wrote:

> In my ks.cfg files I encrypt the root password using grub-md5-crypt
>
> According to the below article I an use sha512
> How can I encrypt the password using sha?

The article you quoted tells you how to do that....
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512

> What version of Red Hat is Rawhide?

Rawhide isn't a specific version, it's an automatically built
distribution of whatever the latest versions of all the packages are
in the source repository.  It's intended for use by developers doing
testing and it is frequently broken or unstable.  What the comment
means is that if you want it now you have to get it from Rawhide and
hope you can make it work, otherwise you have to wait until the next
release, which will include these changes.

> Tips and tricks: Choosing the password hashing algorithm for /etc/
> shadow during installation
> by Alexander Todorov
> This is a new feature that has been requested in the Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux product line. The supported algorithms are DES,MD5,
> and SHA-256/512. They will be available after the upcoming updates
> releases as well as in Rawhide. The new algorithms will be
> configurable via Kickstart only. Here is the correct code.
> DES
> authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=descrypt
> rootpw fedora
> MD5
> authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
> rootpw fedora
> or
> authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=md5
> rootpw fedora
> SHA-256
> authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha256
> rootpw fedora
> SHA-512
> authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512
> rootpw fedora

Jason Kohles, RHCA RHCDS RHCE
email at jasonkohles.com - http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire