RHEL 3 kickstart network retrieval issue

Brent Clements brent.clements at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:26:48 UTC 2008

I am having the wierdest issue with RHEL 3 network installs.

When I boot with a RHEL 3 boot media, I use the following boot commandline:

linux ks=http://myhost/RHEL3.ks ksdevice=eth0 ip=<MYIP> netmask=<MYNETMASK>
gateway=<MYGATEWAY> dns=<MYDNS>

Anaconda boots up but it fails at installing. I switch over to a terminal
and it shows that anaconda has failed to retrieve the kickstart file from
the network and also I see a no route to host error. Does not look like the
network device is being set up correctly based upon the boot commandline
parameters.

To Troubleshoot to make sure it wasn't the kickstart file that was the
problem, I stuck this same kickstart file as an embedded kickstart on the cd
and it worked fine. So that doesn't get me anywhere and validates that
my actual kickstart file doesn't have errors and can install an OS

So, I try doing the same thing but with RHEL 4 media and a RHEL4 based
kickstart using the boot commandline

 linux ks=http://myhost/RHEL4.ks ksdevice=eth0 ip=<MYIP> netmask=<MYNETMASK>
gateway=<MYGATEWAY> dns=<MYDNS>

Everything works fine using RHEL 4 and the command line stated right above.

Are their known issues with setting network parameters at the command line
with RHEL 3?