Disk controller detection order

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Tue Aug 5 10:47:53 UTC 2008

pbdlists at pinboard.com wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I have an old machine with SCSI disks on an adaptec controller and
> recently added three SATA disks with a promise SATA controller add-on
> card. With this machine I have the same issue. The machine boots off
> the SCSI disk and sees this as sda, while during the installation it
> assigns sda/sdb/sdc to the three SATA disks and sdd to the SCSI disk.
>
> I believe that somehow controller detection in the installation kernel
> and the installed kernel is not in the same order.

Interesting. I can't really do the hack you mention because my custom
spin has to go on lots of machines with different numbers of drives so I
can't make any such assumptions. Thanks for the info anyway.

The only workaround I can think of is disconnecting all the drives from
the RAID card, then doing the installation, then replacing the drives.
Far from ideal.

Not really sure where to go from here.

--
Chris