anaconda screens

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 09:23:43 UTC 2008

Luis Correia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to do some funky %pre stuff in python, to decide whetner or
> not to install the machine and need some user interaction.
> We're only doing it in text mode, no need for fancy graphics.
>
> How do I from the %pre script write stuff to the screen, get input,
> maybe a button or two ?
>
> I've rummaged through the anaconda code, but it all seems a bit strange to me.
>
> Thanks for all the help you could provide,
> Luis Correia

Took a quick look at the code and it seems that it executes whatever is in pre with a redirect to tty3, including the input.  This suggests to me that you can basically do a bash read (or however you want to prompt the user) and it will prompt you on the vt3.  It wont work if you are installing through serial console though.  Didn't actually test this.

Hope it helps.

--
Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic