Timezone specification

Terry McIntyre terry.mcintyre at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 23:15:09 UTC 2008

We seem to be going backwards. Before the invention of timezones,
every railroad stop had a different time "zone". Then we divided the
country into Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific timezones. Since
then, cities and states and other regions have chosen to balkanize the
country into ever-smaller divisions. There is disagreement about when
and whether to advance and retreat with the seasons. Soon, we'll be
where we started: every railroad stop with a different time. This is
progress?