Bonding interfaces in %post

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 14:47:39 UTC 2008

Cipolla, Joseph wrote:

> I am attempting to create a bonded interface from two NICs on RHEL
> 5.1, but I'm running into a strange problem.  When the system is
> completed with the kickstart and reboots, it renames the ifcfg-eth0/1
> files to ifcfg-eth0/1.bak and changing the interfaces to DHCP.  The
> ifcfg-bond0 file remains unchanged though.  From what I've been able
> to find on the net, there is something in the boot sequence that
> requires HWADDR be set in the ifcfg-ethN files and will overwrite them
> if not found.  Once I copy the files back and restart the network
> service, everything is fine.  And subsequent reboots do not mess with
> the files again, even though they are still missing the HWADDR field.
>
> My question is this:  Can this function be disabled or bypassed?  If
> not, then will I have to determine the HWADDR of each interface prior
> to creating the ifcfg-ethN files?  Or will anaconda be supporting
> interface bonding in future releases?

Of potential interest, though not quite released yet (coming this week),
Cobbler 1.4 will have support for creating the code to set up bonding in
%post, which can be set up through the command line or the web application.

See https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/AdvancedNetworking for some
early documentation.

Might not be for everyone but I wanted to throw that out there.
Comments on the implementation are most definitely welcome.

--Michael