Bonding interfaces in %post

Cipolla, Joseph Joseph.Cipolla at wellcare.com
Wed Dec 3 22:06:00 UTC 2008

I am attempting to create a bonded interface from two NICs on RHEL 5.1,
but I'm running into a strange problem.  When the system is completed
with the kickstart and reboots, it renames the ifcfg-eth0/1 files to
ifcfg-eth0/1.bak and changing the interfaces to DHCP.  The ifcfg-bond0
file remains unchanged though.  From what I've been able to find on the
net, there is something in the boot sequence that requires HWADDR be set
in the ifcfg-ethN files and will overwrite them if not found.  Once I
copy the files back and restart the network service, everything is fine.
And subsequent reboots do not mess with the files again, even though
they are still missing the HWADDR field.

My question is this:  Can this function be disabled or bypassed?  If
not, then will I have to determine the HWADDR of each interface prior to
creating the ifcfg-ethN files?  Or will anaconda be supporting interface
bonding in future releases?

Thanks,

Joseph Cipolla
Senior Systems Engineer
WellCare Health Plans, Inc.
8735 Henderson Road
Ren 1-1
Tampa, FL 33634
813-290-6200 x1775

Privacy Notice: This electronic mail message, and any attachments, are confidential and are intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is proprietary and that may be
Individually Identifiable or Protected Health Information under HIPAA. If you are not the intended
recipient, please immediately contact the sender by telephone, or by email, and destroy all copies of this
message. If you are a regular recipient of our electronic mail, please notify us promptly if you change
your email address.