Unable to eject boot cd during kickstart install

dwight at supercomputer.org dwight at supercomputer.org
Wed Feb 13 16:47:45 UTC 2008

It sounds like there's some process left around which is keeping the
device open. That would be the first thing I'd check. If nothing is
obvious from a ps(1), then you'll have to dig deeper.

lsof(1) and/or an `fuser -v` are typically used to track this down.
The trouble is that these aren't available from the F2 virtual
terminal. I'm going from memory at the moment, but I'm pretty
certain this is the case.

To use these utilities, you'll have to do something like the
following:
   1. chroot /mnt/system
   2. mount  up /sys (Check fstab, it would be something like
mount -t sysfs /sys
   3. mount up /proc
   4. /sbin/start_udev

You should then be able to use lsof and/or fuser.

You can also now do all sorts of other nifty things.

Note that to exit this environment cleanly, you have to clean up in
the reverse order. Starting will killing the udevd daemon.

Hope that helps.

   -dwight-