problems with unpartitioned harddrives and automatic partitioning

Eugeny Zadevalov lists at zadevalov.com
Wed Feb 13 22:09:46 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I've been trying to setup automatic partitioning with Kickstart.
Everything is okay until I try to run my Kickstart setup on machine with
unpartitioned drives (like if partition table is broken or filled with
zeros).

I'm experiencing same issue with both Centos4.6 and Centos5.1.

My goal is to get raid1 setup automatically through kickstart. Below is
cut from ks.cfg:
===
zerombr
clearpart --initlabel --all
part raid.01 --size=2048 --onbiosdisk=80 --asprimary
part raid.02 --size=8192 --onbiosdisk=80 --asprimary --grow
part raid.03 --size=2048 --onbiosdisk=81 --asprimary
part raid.04 --size=8192 --onbiosdisk=81 --asprimary --grow
raid /    --level=RAID1 --device=md0 --fstype=ext3 raid.02 raid.04
raid swap --level=RAID1 --device=md1 --fstype=swap raid.01 raid.03
===

If I remove this part and run kickstarting machine over Kickstart with
manual partitioning I get warning about drives needs to be initialized.
That's normal I guess. But with my automatic partitioning I've
"clearpart --initlabel --all" and that supposed to be initializing
any/all unpartitioned drives but that's not happening. Kickstart just
hangs giving bunch of errors.

If I just go ahead and do something like:
fdisk /dev/hda
ENTER
fdisk /dev/hdc
ENTER
And then try again that automatic partitioning scheme it works like
expected.

I've searched over the mailling list archive but wasn't able to find
anything.

For me it looks like a bug with "--initlabel" option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!