Getting started

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 15:28:34 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Shabazian, Chip wrote:
>>> You could start with the presentation I gave at last years LinuxWorld:
>>> http://www.shabazian.com/lw2007.pdf
>>>
>> +1.
>>
>> My biggest tip is to "yum install system-config-kickstart" (which I
>> believe Chip mentions).
>>
>> It can help guide you through the install questions and builds a
>> kickstart along the way.   That's a good way to see what
>> the various options are (and is a bit easier than reading some of the
>> docs for the first couple of times -- eventually you
>> probably won't need the tool).

> That's a good tip, but for people who don't have X installed (for
> example setting up servers), the GUI based kickstart config tool won't
> work. I also had to go through this exercise but soon found a lot of
> sites on the net with good sample kickstart files. One thing I want to
> add though. If it's possible, setup sometimes like XEN / VMWare /
> Virtualbox / QMU / etc to test the CD ISO. It's a pain in the neck to
> first create the CD ISO with makeisofs, then burn it to CD, and then
> putting it into my test machine to test it.

True!   You can of course run system-config-kickstart on any box though,
so as long as you have at least one Linux box running X, you can use that :)

With respect to the other suggestions, cobbler happens to both make
installing Xen/KVM very easy for repeated installs as you tweak
kickstarts and also includes sample base kickstarts :)

--Michael