Old style fixed partitions in KS-- Anaconda bug??

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:33:16 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:
> Can't help you debug your sfdisk, but the magic cobbler
> (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com) uses by default is the following...
>
> %include /tmp/partinfo
>
> %pre
> # Determine how many drives we have
> set \$(list-harddrives)
> let numd=\$#/2
> d1=\$1
> d2=\$3
>
> cat << EOF > /tmp/partinfo
> part / --fstype ext3 --size=1024 --grow --ondisk=\$d1 --asprimary
> part swap --size=1024 --ondisk=\$d1 --asprimary
> EOF
>
> This has been working very well.
>
> There shouldn't be any reason to call sfdisk that I'm aware of.

The difference is that in my case, I have an external program (sfdisk)
writing the partition table-- in the above, Anaconda is writing the
partition table with its internal routines.

Sfdisk writes the partition table correctly (as viewed by a shell window),
but Anaconda gets confused using it.

I don't want to use something like the above because:

-- I want to have more granular file systems (separating /, /usr, /var,
   /tmp, etc.).

-- I want to have the same layout across many systems (e.g., cluster nodes).
   From what I've seen, having Anaconda/Disk Druid lay out partitions
   can result in them being in a different order (e.g., Disk Druid
   arranges them by size).

Controlling disk layout compared to having everything under "/" is a
subjective, administrative decision. I'm not trying to convince anybody
that "my way is better", just trying to get it to work (and it has
always worked fine in everything pre-RHEL4u5).

Thanks--

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility