Old style fixed partitions in KS-- Anaconda bug??

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Tue Feb 5 17:24:59 UTC 2008

> From: Pablo Iranzo G?mez <Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com>
>
> 	Isn't LVM an option?
>
> sfdisk --force /dev/hda <<EOF
> 0,200,83,*
> 201,,8e
> EOF
>
> 	Then:
>
> part /boot --fstype ext3  --onpart=hda1
> part pv.6  --onpart=hda3
> volgroup THEBIGONE pv.6
> logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=THEBIGONE --size=1024
> logvol /home --fstype ext3 --name=home --vgname=THEBIGONE --size=150
> logvol /opt --fstype ext3 --name=opt --vgname=THEBIGONE --size=2000
> logvol /tmp --fstype ext3 --name=tmp --vgname=THEBIGONE --size=1024
> logvol /usr --fstype ext3 --name=usr --vgname=THEBIGONE --size=1500
> logvol swap --fstype swap --vgname=THEBIGONE --name=Swap  --size=256
>
> 	So just have two partitions, always hda1 as /boot, and the rest for a
> LVM PV ;)
>
> 	Regards
> 	Pablo
>
> PD: I have to dd first sectors of LVM in order to get it working for a
> reinstallation

If I can't figure out what's broken and get it fixed, I may have to
go this route... to me, adding the complexity of LVM to a system that could
(and did in the past) use simple partitions is adding bloat to Linux.

I love LVM in multi-disk situations where you need to be able to span drives
or easily resize volumes...

BUT, I also like the simplicity of popping in a rescue disk and mounting
/dev/sda5 to access and fix a problem in "/".

I'm also curious-- if your suggestion above works (where you
partition the disk with sfdisk and then use LVM), I'm even more
curious why my version doesn't work-- I'm doing the same thing, just
more statements of the form: "part /boot --fstype ext3  --onpart=hda1".

Thanks for the suggestion...

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility