Upgrading kernel used in PXE boot

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Feb 8 11:25:17 UTC 2008

Joel Andres Granados wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> I don't think pungi did anything for Fedora 7, nor from before Fedora 7.
>
> I'm pretty sure pungi began in F7. not sure if it was used to compose f7
> or f8 though.
> have to ask jessey.

pungi was used to compose F7 and F8 and will be used to compose F9 as
well, but Jesse is convinced he can't get away with composing Fedora N+1
or Fedora N-1 on a Fedora N machine. Whether it is a support-, release
engineering- or technical argument I do not know.

>> Also, Revisor does not use pungi.
>
> mmm.  my bad.  where you using pungi and changed or did you never use
> pungi at all?
> I was convinced that how it worked.  learn something new every day.
> So do you call buildinstall directly to build the images or do you have
> your own version of buildinstall?

We use anaconda-runtime's buildinstall alright. As much as we look like
we're going renegade we do value upstream (and so it seems we value
upstream more then they do downstream). Basically where we doing what
pungi has been doing for Fedora 7, but by the time we started needing
callbacks to be performed to keep our GUI responsive -applies to CLI as
well, tweak the media being composed and needed to ship Revisor for EL5,
we did not get the patches accepted upstream (out-of-scope, zero
confidence, whatever other reason) although sometimes the functionality
we requested has been applied later -anyway we didn't need to depend on
pungi anymore.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip