Upgrading kernel used in PXE boot

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Fri Feb 8 17:30:34 UTC 2008

> From: Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com>
> Subject: Re: Upgrading kernel used in PXE boot
>
> That does help, Cris.  I've been unable to find a FC6 respin (which I'd
> rather use, as I think the default driver set with the new kernel will
> work for me), so if I can get this procedure working, I'll be all set.
> Thanks!
>
> Eric.

I've given up using Fedora for anything server-related. Once they hit
the next release, they never look back (and the groups who were keeping up
the patches for the older releases ran out of volunteers).

I have FC8 on a laptop in our computer room (using it as a console/display).
Every time I go in there, it has at least a dozen updates that need to
be applied. IMHO, FC8 isn't what I would call "stable", yet they are
already talking about Alpha releases of FC9 on the lists.

FC6 is very stable, but as you've noticed, you get flak as it is EOL.

Fedora is great if you want to play with cutting-edge packages, but the
lifespan of any release is only about 6 months.

I'm not trying to start a war on which distribution is better, but I found
a lot more stability by using RHEL/CentOS for servers. I still use Fedora
for desktops -- where re-imaging the system isn't that big of a deal
and I may need the cutting-edge versions to handle new hardware.

Just my $0.02.

--- Cris

BTW:  What hardware are you trying to get running under FC6?

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility