Unable to eject boot cd during kickstart install

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 14 11:57:01 UTC 2008

dwight at supercomputer.org wrote:

I'm forking a thread on ks, because it illustrates something that's been
on my mind for a while.

When I boot CD to net install (which I suppose the OP is doing coz
otherwise it doesn;t make sense to head for other parts, media in hand),
I'd like it to spit the CD out as soon as it's not required.

Normally, I use PXE but just sometimes, I might boot from CD and then
install off a good ADSL connexion. Taking the CD ensures there won't be
an install loop. Waiting for it's tedious.

bts I've just been testing PX+KS (CentOS5.1) on a 3yo or so Pentium IV.
Takes a little less than 15 minutes, about what RHHL 7.2-3 took on
Pentium IIs fdr a similar install.

In contrast, XP's equivalent takes around an hour and despite the .SIF
file (equivalent to the ks) it insists asking more question. And then
it's ready to install the applications such as office software.

Good Work JK (who I think's been on it all that time) and crew.