include XEN kernel & tools in CentOS 5.1 kickstart?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 16:19:48 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Michael DeHaan wrote:

>>> All you have to do is add the list of packages you regularly
>>> yum-install to your kickstart file:
>>>
>>> For your dom0 (host OS):
>>>
>>> %packages
>>> kernel-xen
>>> xen
>>> virsh
>>> koan
>>> virt-manager
>>>
>>> etc...

>> Ah, you said CD, my fault.
>>
>> In Fedora I'd use Pungi, though since you also mentioned cPanel it
>> would be better to set up a network installation environment.   Even
>> if you can't PXE, koan has live CD capability to provide the same
>> feature set...
>>
>> --Michael

> I can't entirely setup a PXE environment, since the servers are being
> colocated, and we can only do CD / DVD installations, or directly off
> the internet.

If you can't do a PXE setup, that's not a problem.   You can still do
bare-metal net installs without having to burn custom media.

Right, with the koan Live CD you run a cobbler server on one of your
colo boxes, and insert the "magic" CD into each machine.

The CD then autodiscovers what to install on each system based on the
Mac address, which you can control and "preprogram" any time you want
without having to generate new CD's.

 From the one magic CD, you can install F-8 on one box, Centos 5 on one
box, and RHEL 4 on another... it autodetects what to install on each.

If you don't know the MAC addresses, you can make one live CD for each
profile, and still you can customize that profile (add new packages,
etc) without having to respin another CD.

The instructions on creating this setup are here:

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/CobblerLiveCd

--Michael