No selinux whatsoever

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Fri Jan 18 16:55:29 UTC 2008

You would be amazed at how much stuff you can remove from your system
and still have it work.  Here is what I did some time ago to get a RHEL
3 build to under 200 packages.

First, build a system as minimal as you know you can.

Next, run:
rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}\n" > rpms
To get a listing of all the rpm's installed on your system.  I suggest
removing things from this list such as kernel, yum, ssh, and rpm itself
if you want a usuable system after you run the next step.

Once you have this "sanitized" list of rpm's, simply remove everything
you can:
for i in `cat rpms`; do rpm -e $i; if [ "$?" -eq 0 ] ; then  echo -e "$i
has been removed" >> removed_rpms.txt ; fi; done
Keep running the above until nothing more is removed.  Reboot the system
and make sure it still works.  If it does, and at a minimimum you can
install new packages, you can take the list of rpm's in the
removed_rpms.txt file and add them to your %packages section with - so
they don't get installed on new builds.

All of the above could be scripted to just keep running, but I only had
to do it the one time so I didn't bother doing anything more with it.

Chip