How to rebuild an Anaconda initrd/kernel with updated drivers?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 7 23:33:40 UTC 2008

Riggs, Ben wrote:
> Being an undergrad with no classes for the next couple weeks and plenty
> of time at work, I'm looking to find out what's behind door #1.

I think it goes like this. I'm assuming pxe.
cat <initrd> | gunzip | cpio <some options>
Inspect the tree you've created
Pop the driver module in place (there may be a further cpio or similar
archive you need to open). Repack if necessary
read linuxrc to see where it goes. Change whatever seems good
test boot.
repeat as necessary.

If you're booting from CD, you can do the above, but you need to unroll
the ISO first:
mount -o loop ... /mnt/iso
find /mnt/iso -name TRANS.TBL -exec rm -vf {} \;

Find the imbedded boot floppy and mount that.

Do as above. You may need to remove the initrd from the floppy before
putting it back.
mkisofs <I think the magic incantation can be found in anaconda>
cdrecord <burn to cd-rw or dvd-rw, you don't want to go through a
spindle of media for this>

Note, I have assumed your driver's built to match the install kernel.
This is necessary.

Wonder what to do for the next ten days.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait