swap sizing in a kickstart script

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Fri Jan 11 16:32:09 UTC 2008

Just read this which clarified it for me:

BTW, with overcommit_memory=2,
CommitLimit = (MemTotal * (overcommit_ratio / 100)) + SwapFree

With the default of overcommit_ratio = 50, this simplifies to:
CommitLimit = (MemTotal / 2) + SwapFree

Unless you're setting overcommit_ratio to 100, this means that with
640MB of RAM and no swap, user programs are allowed to request 320MB of
memory at most.

I hope this helps...