append multiple ks.cfg and create the CD

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 23 01:08:06 UTC 2008

Augusto Castelan Carlson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Looking at the docs I sow that I have to add ks.cfg to the isolinux
> dir to be able to use a kickstart file from the CD and how to build
> the ISO image.

That's not quite true, the ks file's location can be specified at the
boot menu

> Searching the archives I also found how to add multiple files:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2005-September/msg00076.html
>
> I appended to the CD the kickstart files and some additional RPMs that
> I would like to install using the post install section of kickstart.
>
> I have created the iso and successfully booted the CD. But it does not
> find the kickstart file that I pointed in isolinux.cfg, and if I try
> to install interactively, it says that the media is not a Fedora 8 CD.
>
> --isolinux.cfg for one of the kickstart files
> label testserver
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img ks=cdrom:/testserver.cfg
>
> --I'm creating the iso with:
> mkisofs -J -R -v -T -o ../cd.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
> isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
>
> Any help?

Go through the procedure again, and write down what you do at each step.

If it still does not work, then describe the steps you too. I am not
about to assume that any extenal document describes what you did; if the
document is correct but it does not work for you, then then that doc
does not help us diagnose your problem.

fwiw I would likely do something like this:
mount -o loop,ro ....
<find the file I want to edit, we don't need to know how you do that>
edit ... (show results as you did)
mkisofs <much as you did, but extra magic to get the updated config file
into place, along with the ks file and the other bits and pieces. you
need to show us the exact command>
umount <above>
mount <new iso>
ls -la /mnt/iso <or whereever>

If you can test under xen or kvm, that saves burning CDs. Next best is
CD-RW or DVD+-RW.

--

Cheers
John