cmdline ignored

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:46:48 UTC 2008

2008/7/10 Klaus Steden <klaus.steden at thomson.net>:

> Hi Amos,
>
> 1. I've never done an install in Xen, but if it behaves like the traditional
> Anaconda installation, you can use Ctrl-F# to switch to that vt, i.e.
> Ctrl-F3 switches to tty3, Ctrl-F2 to tty2, etc. You'll see fairly voluminous

Yes I know about these, it's just that it doesn't work in a Xen text
console. Maybe Xen needs some more flags or configuration to enable
this.

> debugging output from the bootstrap and install process on tty5 and tty6,
> and if you're using the graphical installer, switching back to tty7 will
> return you to X11. This is something you do interactively from the console
> ... I've never bothered to do any scripting/programming with chvt, so I
> can't comment on it.

This stuff is general for any linux, BTW, it's not specific to Anaconda.

> 2. I know it's not something you can do permanently, but it at least buys
> you time during %post to investigate and see what's going on. I've used this
> approach before to figure out why installs would hang during %post (cfengine
> would go zombie sometimes when run) that simply looking at the machine won't
> tell you -- you need to get inside it, run the commands that don't work, see
> what happens, etc. Once you've identified the culprit, you fix the bug,
> disable the sleep statement, and try again with a live install.

Yes I see the value in having it during dev. I'm just looking at the
longer term when a production run doesn't work, I can't have the
"sleep forever" there so I'll loose the "wait and look around" step so
I'll have to re-do it in "debug mode" and hope that the problem will
repeat.
Having the ability to just have the output somewhere for production
runs will save it.

> As far as trapping the output, I believe Kickstart now supports remote
> logging via syslog (it was debated for addition to RHEL4 and similar

Thanks. I missed that while looking through the Anaconda docs.

Cheers,

--Amos