Partitioning setup error during CentOS 5.2 setup as guest

Admin Admin qmt9z3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 21:45:39 UTC 2008

> > Thanks for your response!
> >
> > I thought this done via xen-create-image script.
> > I was able to access  partitions identified in
> > the (xen) config file and was able to assign the
> > mount lables (such as /, /usr, /var, etc) during
> > the install. When I try to leave the area of
> > 'Creating Custom Paritions', I get the above
> error.
> >
> > If what you are referring to is not the same as
> > the above, then could you please point me to some
> > documentation on how I can create parition table
> > inside the LV?
>

> To create the partition table, I think "fdisk" on
> the Dom0 with the LV's
> name could do that for you.
>
> Before you do that you should allocate an entire LV
> for the DomU's disk to
> contain all the partitions.
>
> A useful tool to access the DomU's partitions from
> the Dom0 (after "fdisk",
> e.g. to mount partitions) is kpartx.
>
> It's all based on a guess that the CentOS
> installation process depends on
> finding a partition table, something that the
> Debian/Ubuntu Xen
> configuration tools usually don't do.
>
> Just be aware that the way Ubuntu configures Xen
> guests is different from
> the way that CentOS does it - and when crossing this
> border you should
> expect some mismatches and adjustments to close the
> gaps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Amos

Ok now I understand. What you are suggesting is
already
done in xen-create-image script. In fact, before I
issued 'xm create' command, I have mounted one of the
lvm partitions and copied the iso image onto it and
I point to it during the install and the image is
recognized.

In other words all the partitions required for
installation are setup in lvm and are accessible.
Here is the part of xen config file corresponding
to disk partitions:

#  Disk device(s).
#
root        = '/dev/xvda2 ro'
disk        = [

'phy:/dev/VolGroup2/okraU1-swap,xvda1,w',

'phy:/dev/VolGroup2/okraU1-LogVol2Root,xvda2,w',

'phy:/dev/VolGroup2/okraU1-LogVol2Usr,xvda3,w',

'phy:/dev/VolGroup2/okraU1-LogVol2Var,xvda4,w',

'phy:/dev/VolGroup2/okraU1-LogVol2Tmp,xvda5,w',

'phy:/dev/VolGroup2/okraU1-LogVol2UsrLocal,xvda6,w',
              ]
All of the above partitions are already setup and
are visible from within the CentOS install. I have
no knowledge of python language to understand what
is causing the exception.

Thanks