kickstart lvm problem

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Mon Jun 9 18:06:17 UTC 2008

Hi.

I'm having a strange problem with kickstart and lvm.

I rebuilt the original RHEL (4) CD 1.  I used our current kernel, and
rebuilt all the modules in the default initrd.img and the resulting
modules.cgz, etc.  I added support for my unsupported network adapter.
Anaconda seems to be happy with that and loads the driver.  It also
loads other modules for ata_piix, libata, etc.  However, after mounting
the source via NFS to /mnt/source, and stage2.img to /mnt/runtime, it
tries to load the raid modules and fails:

modules to insert md raid0 raid1 xor raid5 raid6 ... dm-mod ...

... and then I get:

module(s) md ... dm-mod ... not found

As a result, dm-mod doesn't get loaded, device-mapper isn't available,
and my lvm creation during k/s fails.

If I go to the shell, and do a modprobe on dm-mod.ko, it loads,
device-mapper is available, and everything seems okay.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is that I did not
touch stage2.img, so there are modules in there
(/mnt/runtime/modules/modules.cgz) that it definately cannot load
because they are for the old kernel version.  However, I've placed all
the modules including the dm-* ones into the original initrd.img that
gets mounted to /modules.

Why aren't the dm-* files in the original initrd.img file?
How can I verify where anaconda is looking for the modules?
Can I get away without touching stage2.img?

Thanks for any help you can provide... this has been troubling me all day.

jas.