Kickstarting to VM via ISO image

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 6 03:51:24 UTC 2008

gene.huft at wachovia.com wrote:
> I got this problem solved - I hadn't realized the .discinfo file didn't
> get copied off media during my rsync ..anyway, I restored it & it makes it
> through the install.
>
> Now, however, it will not execute the %post section - in which I call
> another script that I try to copy off from a directory on virtual CDROM
> (ISO) that I'm building from...  my question is:  during %post, how is the
> cdrom mounted, another words, do I have to  mount the cdrom in the script
> something like mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media ?  Or do I use a
> %post --chroot in some fashion?
>
> Gene L. Huft
> Distributed Systems Engineering
> 512-310-4104
> 512-673-0717 (Cell)
> Gene.Huft at Wachovia.com
> ----- Forwarded by Gene Huft/IT/WACH on 03/05/2008 09:21 PM -----
>
> Gene Huft/IT/WACH
> 03/05/2008 02:43 PM

> kickstart-list at redhat.com
> cc
>
> Subject
> Kickstarting to VM via ISO image
>

> Kickstart Gurus,
>
> I have a fully contained ISO image of the original RHEL5.1 32-bit source
> tree, along with some additional RPMs & a custom ks.cfg file.  The goal is
> to totally automate the build to a VMware VM via mapping the ISO file to a
> virtual CDROM.
>
> I have modified the default isolinux/isolinux.cfg file as follows:
>
> default xander
> prompt 1
> timeout 600
> display boot.msg
> F1 boot.msg
> F2 options.msg
> F3 general.msg
> F4 param.msg
> F5 rescue.msg
> label xander
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
> label text
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append initrd=initrd.img text
> label ks
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append ks initrd=initrd.img
> label local
>   localboot 1
> label memtest86
>   kernel memtest
>   append -
>

> In my kickstart file, I of cource specify "cdrom".  The ISO image will
> boot the VM into RedHat's initial screen, but when hit return or let it
> time out it, it complains that it cannot find the install media on any
> cdrom.
>
> I also tried to put the kickstart file into the initrd.img by
> uncompressing image, copying ks.cfg into it, modifying isolinux.cfg to:
>
> append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=file:/ks.cfg
>
> Then recompressed it, moved it into proper place & re-generated ISO image.
> Again, the ISO will boot the VM to initial RH screen, but soon there after
> get the "cd not found" error.
> [...]

I rarely use CD/DVD for installs, esp ks installs, so add salt.

I think the CD is directly accessible if your %post is not chroot. Have
a look at vc1 during any install to see what's there.

I think the CD is not directly accessible if your %post is chroot. It's
possible to mount it, but doing so requires some effort, or basic
assumptions relying on the way you work. Simplest, is to copy from a
non-chroot %post and use from a chroot %post. It's legitimate to have
more than one (and for them to be in different languages).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait