how to install a custom XEN kernel & rpm's from kickstart?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Mon Mar 31 13:20:27 UTC 2008

Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers schrieb:

>>> errr you dont have bandwidth to be able to view web pages? reading
>>> is pretty lightweight

>> So, after installing 160MB's worth of package, just to install
>> rpm-build, I still can't rebuild the package
>> I'm now updating the whole syste, which will install another 53MB
>> worth of packages. Sadly, google don't have an answer to my problems.
>>

>> [root at temp01 /]# rpmbuild --rebuild xen-3.2.0-0xs.centos5.src.rpm
>

> You should not run rpmbuild as root (unless xen needs  that - I am not
> sure, I don't use xen).
> rpmbuild requires some additional RPMs.
>
> You should really (!) try out all this stuff in some sort of VM.
> I assume you have enough (umetered) bandwidth at home/work and only
> the colo-traffic is paid by MB.
>
> Yes, it's wasteful to download a DVD image and we should all use less
> resources to save the planet.
> But even on our old 600/500 (kBit/s, not MBit/s) line at the old
> office, the download of a DVD ISO would just take a weekend.
>
> And if even that is an issue, two minutes of searching via Google
> found this:
> http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/2632237/Linux%3A+CentOS+5.1+DVD+%2B+Free+postage%21/
>
> That's
> http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=55&from=ZAR&to=EUR&submit=Convert
>
> about 4 Euro and 20 Euro-Cents.
> Is your time really worth so little?

Hi Rainer

No, I pay for bandwidth everywhere in my country, at home / office /
colocation / etc. Needless to say, I'm trying to setup a VM for stuff
like this. I only have one 64bit PC, and would like to use it for both
32bit & 64bit environments, so I was told that Xen 3.0 (which is the
default in CentOS 5.1) won't work, I need Xen 3.2 - but there's no 64bit
rpm's available, and it seems no one actually has 64bit rpm's ( I find
this very very strange), and people also think that bandwidth all over
the world is free, or even cheap

So far, I've downloaded 254MB's worth of stuff just to install
rpm-build, and I still can't get it to work. Unfortunately those who
have managed to rebuild it think it's too much to share in their
experience, so Im running around in circles, downloading everything I
can think of to try and get it to work.

[root at temp01 /]# du --si /var/cache/yum/*/packages
4.1k    /var/cache/yum/addons/packages
123M    /var/cache/yum/base/packages
4.1k    /var/cache/yum/extras/packages
131M    /var/cache/yum/updates/packages
[root at temp01 /]#

P.S. This was a new installation this morning, so I didn't have any
updates or newly installed packages in those folders before stating this
project.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers