Kickstarting to VM via ISO image

gene.huft at wachovia.com gene.huft at wachovia.com
Thu Mar 6 02:43:07 UTC 2008

I got this problem solved - I hadn't realized the .discinfo file didn't
get copied off media during my rsync ..anyway, I restored it & it makes it
through the install.

Now, however, it will not execute the %post section - in which I call
another script that I try to copy off from a directory on virtual CDROM
(ISO) that I'm building from...  my question is:  during %post, how is the
cdrom mounted, another words, do I have to  mount the cdrom in the script
something like mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media ?  Or do I use a
%post --chroot in some fashion?

Gene L. Huft
Distributed Systems Engineering
512-310-4104
512-673-0717 (Cell)
Gene.Huft at Wachovia.com
----- Forwarded by Gene Huft/IT/WACH on 03/05/2008 09:21 PM -----

Gene Huft/IT/WACH
03/05/2008 02:43 PM

kickstart-list at redhat.com
cc

Subject
Kickstarting to VM via ISO image

Kickstart Gurus,

I have a fully contained ISO image of the original RHEL5.1 32-bit source
tree, along with some additional RPMs & a custom ks.cfg file.  The goal is
to totally automate the build to a VMware VM via mapping the ISO file to a
virtual CDROM.

I have modified the default isolinux/isolinux.cfg file as follows:

default xander
prompt 1
timeout 600
display boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
label xander
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
label text
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img text
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks initrd=initrd.img
label local
  localboot 1
label memtest86
  kernel memtest
  append -

In my kickstart file, I of cource specify "cdrom".  The ISO image will
boot the VM into RedHat's initial screen, but when hit return or let it
time out it, it complains that it cannot find the install media on any
cdrom.

I also tried to put the kickstart file into the initrd.img by
uncompressing image, copying ks.cfg into it, modifying isolinux.cfg to:

append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192 ks=file:/ks.cfg

Then recompressed it, moved it into proper place & re-generated ISO image.
Again, the ISO will boot the VM to initial RH screen, but soon there after
get the "cd not found" error.
Is this just a VMware thing?  My coworker has no trouble with SuSE builds
working....am I overlooking something simple?

Thanks in advance.

Gene