Best practices for partitioning hdds?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 10 08:08:15 UTC 2008

Pablo Iranzo Gómez wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Pablo Iranzo Gómez wrote:
>>> 	The idea is to have one layout that could be deployed on
>>> "non-compliant" disks, and to keep the one existing on "compliant" ones.
>> Can you clarify what "complaint" and "non-compliant" mean?
>
> Sorry, I mean:
>
> 	I want one part for /boot, one for LVM, and one for vfat, having
> that schema would be considered "compliant" if part sizes are at least a
> min size, if not, and if drive is bigger, trash the disk and repartition
> with that schema.

"best Practice" doesn't mean a lot in this context. For a desktop I tend
to go with  /boot and /therest.
If you want some space to share with windows, then decide how big it
should be, and give the rest to Linux.

How much to give to Windows depends on your requirements. If you want to
share up to one DVD image, then 5 Gbytes.

If you want everyone to have the same layout, nothing says you have to
use the entire disk. Leaving some free allows for the occasional user
who might want more space for this or that, maybe to share with Windows.

If you're setting up servers, that might be different, but it still
depends on your requirements. _I_ am not keen on lots of partitions on
one drive, but if I were settingg up EL on a zSeries I might do things
differently from an entry-level xServer.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait