Stupid dependencies.. ?

Hajducko, Steven steven.hajducko at digitalinsight.com
Thu Mar 13 20:31:21 UTC 2008

Is there a place to suggest better dependencies for future builds of RH?
I'm not sure which list / bug tracking system I should be putting this
into.

For example,

the core group lists authconfig as a mandatory package.

authconfig requires rhpl, a package that contains python code used by
other programs.

rhpl requires wireless-tools.

It was not this way in RH4.  authconfig was part of core, but the RHPL
package was not required by it, nor did the RHPL package require
wireless-tools.

So in essence, every server I install into my datacenter with RH5 is
going to have the wireless-tools package, a completely arbitrary and
unnecessary package, unless I uninstall authconfig, rhpl and
wireless-tools in the %post.

Steven Hajducko
Systems Engineer, Systems Integration
w: 818.597.6443   m: 805.377.9074

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for
the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution
recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.