using /dev/ram devices in RHEL5 kickstarts

Kent Baxley kb4xley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:37:59 UTC 2008

I'm researching a kickstart problem that deals with some of the differences
between RHEL4 and RHEL5.  In RHEL 4, I could create a RAM drive and copy
files to this RAM drive in the %pre script portion of kickstart.  I would
then open the RAM drive in the %post section.  This allowed me to pass
information from the Pre to the Post processing scripts.  Because the %pre
scripts do not have a local drive to write to at this time in the
installation process the became the easiest way tell the post process
scripts what went on during the pre script installation choices.

In the past, I was able to use the following code to create a ram drive
during the %pre process of kickstart.

mkdir /tmp/ramdisk
mke2fs /dev/ram
mount /dev/ram /tmp/ramdisk

This code is right out of my kickstart.

Once in the %post process

mkdir /tmp/ramdisk
mount /dev/ram /tmp/ramdisk

Then I copy files from the /tmp/ramdisk mount point.

The /dev/ram devices seem to be missing during the installation process, so,
the above code snippents don't seem to work anymore on RHEL5. I've found I
can work around this by doing something like:

mknod /dev/ram b 1 0

Then continue with the steps above, however, why is /dev/ram seemingly not
created by default anymore in RHEL5? Should I be using another method from
here on out?

Another possibility for passing data between %pre and %post environments,
I've found, could be:

%pre
Create a tmpfs ram drive
Copy files to tmpfs

%post --nochroot
copy files from tmpfs ram drive to /mnt/sysimage/path

%post
.
.

Notice that the first %post allows for a nochroot flag so I can copy data
from the tmpfs. The second and last %post is where I would run my bash
scripts after the data in tmpfs has been copied to the local hard drive.

So, my question is, will either option (run mknod to create /dev/ram or use
tmpfs) work, and what should I be doing for RHEL5 installs and beyond?  I'm
also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks!