Behavior when kickstart file specifies a static IP

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Mar 26 20:00:18 UTC 2008

I've noticed some changes between Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 when the
kickstart file specifies a static IP.

My normal install procedure generates a kickstart file for a specific
host.  The machine uses DHCP to get its initial IP, then grabs the
kickstart file and proceeds to install via VNC.  Under F7, the machine
will change its IP to the one specified in the kickstart file once
it's been downloaded, and the VNC window indicates the proper hostname
of the device.  Under F8, the machine keeps its DHCP address and the
VNC window reflects whatever random address the DHCP server handed
out, which is a bit suboptimal as now I can't track the progress of
individual installs.

I'm guessing that this was all intentional and that my expectations
are not in line with reality, but is there any way of obtaining the
previous behavior?

 - J<