how to install a custom XEN kernel & rpm's from kickstart?

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Fri Mar 28 15:02:45 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Tom Brown wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to automate some server deployment, and would like to know
>>> how to tell kickstart to use a custom kernel, and install additional
>>> rpm's not normally found on the CD / DVD?
>>>

>> rpm -i in the %post

> As follows?
>
> rpm -i xen-3.2.0-0xs.centos5.i386.rpm
> rpm -i xen-debuginfo-3.2.0-0xs.centos5.i386.rpm

Personally, I set up my own repo and add it to the kickstart:

repo --name=myrepo --baseurl=http://example.com/centos/5/x86_64/RPMS

Specify any additional RPMs in the %packages list

Any RPMs in that repo that are older than the ones on the install media
will be installed.

Where did you get xen 3.2 for CentOS? Is that from the CentOS site? Ah,
I see - it's i386. I ended up building 3.1.2 from Fedora for my x86_64
boxes.

R.