please help, CentOS 5.1 kickstart installation looking for stuff from CD2???

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 30 11:21:21 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Pablo Iranzo G�mez wrote:
>>     Rudi,
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I just copied cd.iso to a folder and removed a few things I didn't
>>> want. Later on I'm going to add a few rpm's which I want to the
>>> kickstart to copy to the installed system.
>>> I currently have all the files on a SME 7.3 server (which runs on a
>>> very  modified version of CentOS 4.6) so I don't know if the createrepo
>>> command will work, or actually do what it's supposed todo.
>>>

>>     You'll need :) createrepo updates files in repodata/ that are used
>> during installation.
>>
> Would this still work if the only other machine I have to my disposal to
> setup the ISO (where I'm currently creating the kickstart file & ISO
> file) is on a different OS & architecture?

Er. Windows?

> For example, I'm writing & testing a kickstart for CentOS 5.1 x64, and I
> only have 1 64bit PC at this stage. But our LAN server, as I said, runs
> on SME 7.3, which is CentOS 4.6 i386 - will this make any difference?

Probably:-) AFAIk C4 repos work with C5.

I don't believe the architecture is important, but the version of
createrepo probably is. createrepo is noarch, so it can be installed
anywhere you like, assuming you have the tools (and on SME I expect you
have)
rpm2cpio <createrepo....rpm | cpip --extract -d

You could use that technique to put createrepo into an area within your
local mirror and so, if needs be, have several different versions for
several different repos.

Failing all else, a C5 Live CD (or FC6 Live CD) should have all you need
to createrepo; simply export rw from the SME system, mount on the livecd
and have at it.

--

Cheers
John