how to install a custom XEN kernel & rpm's from kickstart?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Mar 31 13:02:32 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
> Tom Brown wrote:
>>
>>> No, I haven't, cause I don't have oodles of bandwidth to download
>>> everything on every page from a google search hoping something would
>>> work. Thanx for the help though
>>>

>> errr you dont have bandwidth to be able to view web pages? reading is
>> pretty lightweight

> So, after installing 160MB's worth of package, just to install
> rpm-build, I still can't rebuild the package
> I'm now updating the whole syste, which will install another 53MB
> worth of packages. Sadly, google don't have an answer to my problems.
>

> [root at temp01 /]# rpmbuild --rebuild xen-3.2.0-0xs.centos5.src.rpm

You should not run rpmbuild as root (unless xen needs  that - I am not
sure, I don't use xen).
rpmbuild requires some additional RPMs.

You should really (!) try out all this stuff in some sort of VM.
I assume you have enough (umetered) bandwidth at home/work and only the
colo-traffic is paid by MB.

Yes, it's wasteful to download a DVD image and we should all use less
resources to save the planet.
But even on our old 600/500 (kBit/s, not MBit/s) line at the old office,
the download of a DVD ISO would just take a weekend.

And if even that is an issue, two minutes of searching via Google found
this:
http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/2632237/Linux%3A+CentOS+5.1+DVD+%2B+Free+postage%21/
That's
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=55&from=ZAR&to=EUR&submit=Convert