Setting up a non standard environment

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Wed May 21 23:07:54 UTC 2008

Hi Matt,

If I understand you correctly, what you would have to do would be to edit
the various desktop (i.e. GNOME or KDE) setup and control scripts. There are
a couple of possible approaches to this problem, but the details will vary,
so I won¹t attempt to explain those since I don¹t know your environment.
Regardless of the details, though, you can simply add this to the Œ%post¹
section of your Kickstart file. This part gets executed immediately after
all software installs have been completed, and the system is otherwise ready
to go. You could try one or all of the following, depending on what works
best for you:

1. Include diff¹s or script instructions in %post to make the edits needed
to the files you want to change.
2. Write pre-baked versions of the file(s) you want tweaked and store them
on a local server, to be fetched via Œwget¹ or similar during %post and
saved to the appropriate locations on the newly-installed OS.
3. Use a tool like Œcfengine¹ or Œpuppet¹ to apply a more systematic
strategy to this kind of change management

I¹ve applied all three strategies in various ways over the years, and they
all have their respective merits and flaws. #3 is particularly useful if you
want to easily handle ongoing change management tasks on a regular basis, in
addition to pre-configuring new systems.

As far as the changes necessary to add launchers and change file browser
behaviour, I wouldn¹t be able to explain it quickly over email, and the
details will vary depending on the desktop system (GNOME vs. KDE vs. vanilla
X11) you¹re using, so you¹d have to consult the respective documentation.
Regardless, if you can make these changes on a running system using a simple
text editor and a command line, you can easily apply the same process in the
%post section of a Kickstart configuration file.

hth,
Klaus

On 5/21/08 3:51 PM, "Matt Milliss" <matt_milliss at yahoo.com>did etch on stone
tablets: