problems kickstarting with gigabit nics

Waller, Darrick J (US SSA) Darrick.Waller at baesystems.com
Fri May 30 18:49:47 UTC 2008

I'm having an issue with two new machines we just installed. The
machines are Sun Blade x6250 modules with Intel e1000 NICs. When trying
to kickstart them using PXE, RHEL3-U8 and RHEL4-U4 both come back with
the following error while trying to grab the kickstart file:

'pump told us: No DHCP reply received'

I've done some searching and come up with a few options to try. The
network folks were kind enough to enable 'spanning-tree portfast' on the
ports the servers are on, which did speed up the time in which the ports
were enabled. I've also tried setting ksdevice as the MAC of the NIC I
need to boot from as well as used the nicdelay/linksleep options to
workaround whatever timeout is happening.

Just for kicks, I decided to try installing RHEL5, which much to my
chagrin, worked perfectly.

Michael DeHaan helped me out a bit in the #kickstart channel on
freenode, but suggested I post to the list for a wider audience. Any
help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrick