extra packages

Kyle Powell kpowell at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 17:39:54 UTC 2008

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
> You seem not to be able to do ALT-F2 during the %post part.  And it
> went very quickly (I just did sleep 5000 which I hope is about 8 minutes).
> It went way quicker than that, but the "Installing bootloader" is taking
> forver.  I wonder whether my sleep statement is taking place there
> instead?

No, you certainly should be able to switch to VT 2 while the %post script is
running. If anaconda seems to be finishing the post script quickly and you have
a 'sleep 5000' in your post script, this would indicate the post script is not
running completely, at least not far enough to reach the sleep (sleep 5000 would
sleep for 5000 seconds, which is nearly an hour and a half).

>    %post --nochroot
>    mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
>    mount /tmp/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>    mkdir /tmp/inst
>    cp /mnt/cdrom/addon/*.tz  /tmp/inst/
>    cd /tmp/inst
>    tar -zxvf preimage.tz
>    cd preimage
>    ./install
>    cd ..
>    tar -zxvf nppt.tz
>    cd nppt
>    ./install
>
> 1. How do I access the addon directory on the DVD?  I know it is there
>    because on a Linux system I put the DVD in the reader and see it.

When installing from CD or DVD, it will already be mounted at /mnt/source. I
would recommend you use two post scripts. Copy the files from the CD in a
- --nochroot post script, then run the install in a regular (chroot'ed) post script.

%post --nochroot
mkdir -p /mnt/sysimage/tmp/inst
cp /mnt/source/addon/* /mnt/sysimage/tmp/inst

%post
cd /tmp/inst
tar -zxvf preimage.tz
cd preimage
./install
cd ..
tar -zxvf nppt.tz
cd nppt
./install

> 2. How can I test thet %post without wasting a DVD each time?

If you have a second machine you could pull the ks.cfg via http, or if you have
a floppy, you could get the kickstart file from the floppy drive. These would
allow you to change the kickstart file without burning a new DVD each time. If
you absolutely want to pull the kickstart file from the iso each time (instead
of just changing the ks= line to point to the cdrom once all your testing is
complete) you could kickstart a virtual machine and present the iso file to the
VM without actually burning a DVD.
- --
Kyle Powell | Red Hat | Senior Consultant, RHCE