extra packages

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Wed Nov 5 02:37:06 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jarle Bjørgeengen [mailto:jarle at bjorgeengen.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 01:29 PM
To: 'Discussion list about Kickstart'
Subject: Re: extra packages

On Nov 4, 2008, at 6:39 , Kyle Powell wrote:

> tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
>> You seem not to be able to do ALT-F2 during the %post part.  And it
>> went very quickly (I just did sleep 5000 which I hope is about 8
>> minutes).
>> It went way quicker than that, but the "Installing bootloader" is
>> taking
>> forver.  I wonder whether my sleep statement is taking place there
>> instead?
>
> No, you certainly should be able to switch to VT 2 while the %post
> script is
> running. If anaconda seems to be finishing the post script quickly
> and you have
> a 'sleep 5000' in your post script, this would indicate the post
> script is not
> running completely, at least not far enough to reach the sleep
> (sleep 5000 would
> sleep for 5000 seconds, which is nearly an hour and a half).
>
>>   %post --nochroot
>>   mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
>>   mount /tmp/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>>   mkdir /tmp/inst
>>   cp /mnt/cdrom/addon/*.tz  /tmp/inst/
>>   cd /tmp/inst
>>   tar -zxvf preimage.tz
>>   cd preimage
>>   ./install
>>   cd ..
>>   tar -zxvf nppt.tz
>>   cd nppt
>>   ./install
>>
>> 1. How do I access the addon directory on the DVD?  I know it is
>> there
>>   because on a Linux system I put the DVD in the reader and see it.
>
> When installing from CD or DVD, it will already be mounted at /mnt/
> source. I
> would recommend you use two post scripts. Copy the files from the CD
> in a
> - --nochroot post script, then run the install in a regular
> (chroot'ed) post script.
>
> %post --nochroot
> mkdir -p /mnt/sysimage/tmp/inst
> cp /mnt/source/addon/* /mnt/sysimage/tmp/inst
>
> %post
> cd /tmp/inst
> tar -zxvf preimage.tz
> cd preimage
> ./install
> cd ..
> tar -zxvf nppt.tz
> cd nppt
> ./install

Neat . Didn'r know you could have 2 %posts

>> 2. How can I test thet %post without wasting a DVD each time?
>
> If you have a second machine you could pull the ks.cfg via http, or
> if you have
> a floppy, you could get the kickstart file from the floppy drive.
> These would
> allow you to change the kickstart file without burning a new DVD
> each time. If
> you absolutely want to pull the kickstart file from the iso each
> time (instead
> of just changing the ks= line to point to the cdrom once all your
> testing is
> complete) you could kickstart a virtual machine and present the iso
> file to the
> VM without actually burning a DVD.

You can also use usb-stick

linux  ks=hd:<partition_where_ks.cfg_is_located>

Just edit isolinux config if you want this to be default.

Once I pre-made a DVD image which wrote host-specific options to a
temporary file in the %pre section, based on the output of dmidecode
(machine serial number) , and later included the autogenerated file in
the main ks.config.